- 3/4 cup Split Yellow Mung Beans
- 3/4 cup White Basmati Rice
- 1 Tbs Fresh Ginger Root
- 1 tsp each Black Mustard Seeds, Cumin seed and Turmeric powder
- ½ tsp each Coriander powder, Coriander seed, Fennel and Fenugreek seeds (fenugreek optional. Also if only have coriander powder just use that no worries!)
- 3 Cloves
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1-2 small pieces of Kelp or Kombu. Rip up or cut with scissors. ( You can leave this out if hard to find)
- 7-10 cup Water
- ½ tsp Salt (rock salt is best)
- 1 small handful Fresh Chopped Cilantro Leaves
- 1 TBS ghee or coconut oil
Keep the vibe high when you cook. Sing, repeat a mantra, or play nice music.
1.Wash split yellow mung beans and rice together until water runs clear.
2. Heat a large pot on medium heat, add 1 TBS ghee and then add all the spices (except the bay leaves). (If you want an extra step you could dry roast spices for a minute or 2 and then add the ghee. This dry-roasting will enhance the flavor but is not necessary.) Cook spices in ghee until you smell them- about 1-3 minutes.
3. Add mung beans and rice and stir again.
3b. Add veggies (an easy combo is 2 c squash or carrot or sweet potato, with 1 – ½ c kale or any other green) you can play with veggie variations but keep the balance of an augmenting veg with a tonifying veg. (ex: delicata squash is augmenting or nourishing and kale is tonifying or more cleansing.)
4. Add water, kelp or kombu, and bay leaves and bring to a boil.
5. Boil for 10 minutes.
6. Turn heat to low, cover pot and continue to cook until mung beans and rice become soft (about 30-40 minutes).
7. Add cilantro leaves just before serving.
8. Salt to taste