A Basic Kitchari Recipe
- 3/4 cup Split Yellow Mung Beans
- 3/4 cup White Basmati Rice
- 1 Tbs Fresh Ginger Root
- 1 tsp each Black Mustard Seeds, Cumin seed and Turmeric powder
- ½ tsp each Coriander powder, Coriander seed, Fennel and Fenugreek seeds (fenugreek optional. Also if only have coriander powder just use that no worries!)
- 3 Cloves
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1-2 small piecse of Kelp or Kombu. rip up or cut with scissors. ( You can leave this out if hard to find)
- 7-10 cup Water
- ½ tsp Salt (rock salt is best)
- 1 small handful Fresh Chopped Cilantro Leaves
- 1 TBS ghee or coconut oil
1.a.I like to start with a mantra. If this is not a thing for you- just play some nice music that makes you feel happy.
1.b.Wash split yellow mung beans (dahl) and rice together until water runs clear.
2. Heat a large pot on medium heat, add 1 TBS ghee and then add all the spices (except the bay leaves). (If you want an extra step you could dry roast spices for a minute or 2 and then add the ghee. This dry-roasting will enhance the flavor but is not necessary.) Cook spices in ghee until you smell them- about 1-3 minutes.
3. Add dahl and rice and stir again.
3b. Add veggies (an easy combo is 2 c squash or carrot or sweet potato, with 1 – ½ c kale or any other green) you can play with veggie variations but keep the balance of an augmenting veg with a tonifying veg. (ex: delicata squash is augmenting or nourishing and kale is tonifying or more cleansing.)
4. Add water, kelp or kombu, and bay leaves and bring to a boil.
5. Boil for 10 minutes.
6. Turn heat to low, cover pot and continue to cook until dahl and rice become soft (about 30-40 minutes).
7. The cilantro leaves can be added just before serving.
8. Add salt to taste- but don’t over salt 😊
ENJOY! And cheers to your wellbeing on all levels.
Dates soaked in ghee- YUM! Dates have been considered an energy giving food by many cultures. In this Ayurvedic recipe, dates are combined with ghee, saffron, cardamom, cinnamon and ginger. Rich and sweet, they nourish and revitalize your deepest tissues. This...
How I Came to Kitchari 5 min read Some of you know that I used to lead cleansing programs for people. I was super into it. It was a very green and clean super liver detoxifying program full of coffee enemas and garlic grapefruit olive oil drinks. Yep, really. And I...
Self oil massage has many benefits. Use this ancient practice to aid in the coming winter months.
Recipes: Ginger Tea: Gather up fresh organic ginger root, maple syrup, and a lime. Boil a pot of water and then turn it off. Throw in the grated or finely chopped ginger and cover for 10 minutes. Add a little maple and a squeeze of lime for minerals and balance. Tummy...